Xiaomi phones are all the rage in the world. As a matter of fact, Xiaomi is the world’s third largest phone manufacturer that ships worldwide, lagging behind only after Apple and Samsung.
Unlike Apple phones that are based on iOS written in Swift programming language, Xiaomi smartphones come with an MIUI OS that is primarily based on Android. Almost all devices using Android as their primary juice have a built-in security feature that you set up at the very beginning. Yes, I am referring to the phone locking feature of Xiaomi phones that come in the form of pattern lock, PIN lock, and fingerprint scanning.
As it so happens, we often confuse or mix up the security codes or patterns that are set up on a Xiaomi device, especially if you own more than one Xiaomi smartphone or tablet. Don’t blame yourself because you are not alone in this boat. The first thing that you fear losing is the on-device data. Unless you have previously set up automatic backups, you will most probably lose all data since the phones are designed to factory reset when it detects an unauthorized entry at the screen start-up.
In this guide, I will detail the steps that you can take to get past Xiaomi’s built-in security feature if you forgot pattern lock in Xiaomi. None of these steps require flashing a file to Xiaomi phone, neither do you need to root your Xiaomi Android smartphone to get past the pattern lock. But most likely your device will be wiped completely, so it is better that you set up automatic backups for each day or do it manually.
What apparatus do you need to unlock Pattern Lock on Xiaomi Android?
- A PC (preferably Windows)
- A USB Cable
- Mi PC Suite (for drivers)
- Mi Password Remover
Perform the following steps to push past the pattern lock on any Xiaomi mobile device.
- Download the latest Android SDK Platform-Tool for your system environment – Windows, Mac or Linux. Although Windows is highly recommended. (Also see: How to install ADB and Fastboot on Windows in 15 seconds – Easiest Method)
- On your PC, download the MI Password Remover and unzip it. If you are asked for a password, enter ‘MiCommunity’.
- Upon unzipping, you will see the following files extracted into an MI Password Remover folder- adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, Mi Reset.bat
- Lastly, download and install MI PC Suite.
- Connect your Xiaomi device to the PC using the USB cable that you normally use for charging. Power off your Xiaomi phone and restart into fastboot mode by simultaneously pressing the Power key and the Volume Up key.
- At the time when your Xiaomi device reboots, release your finger off the Power key while keeping the Volume Up key pressed.
- Now you will enter the boot menu, signaling you to take the pressure off Volume Up key as well.
- Open & run Mi Password Remover tool and run Mi Reset.bat file as an administrator.
- Now you will see a command prompt window opening on your PC asking you to press any key to continue, do it!
- Run the adb.exe file as an admin and execute the command “fastboot reboot” to reboot your Xiaomi device. This command needs to be executed in the Windows PowerShell.
Thereafter, your phone will reboot and open up to the start screen where you will not be asked to enter the pattern lock or a security code that you were using earlier.
So that’s how you can easily unlock Pattern Lock on Xiaomi phone. Although this method works for MIUI 7/8 /9, older versions of MIUI should work well with a previous version of MI Password Remover, if available.