The Google Chromecast itself is a great bit of kit. It’s no surprise that Google Chromecast is excellent media streaming device available for streaming content from your phone, pc or tablet. You can easily stream Google media apps without any interruption. It sounds good, right?
But unfortunately, it doesn’t support media center apps like Kodi. So, if you’re a hardcore Kodi streamer like meh who loves to watch content on Kodi and would like to stream Kodi to Chromecast, there is no direct way to do. Now what to do man? What’s the solution we have?
Despite being unsupported behavior still, you’re not entirely out of luck. Nonetheless, there are some existing ways available to help you with streaming Kodi to Chromecast. As for the purpose, I am here and writing this definitive post for letting you fellas know how one can stream Kodi to Chromecast from Android or PC.
Okay, so now you gotta know that you could be able to stream Kodi to Chromecast. So, without any further ado, let get started:
How to Stream Kodi to Chromecast From Android or PC?
Here, in this article, I am listing down three possible ways to help you with the above bugging query. Feel free to go with any of the best-suited methods.
If you’re on Android device, you guys have two options to proceed with. The first option is more power efficient with a more involved setup, while the second one is quick, easy and requires no other apps installed.
On PC, you really don’t have several options else with going for the choice of Google Chrome. One more thing I wanna let you know that any browser with a chromium framework would also be okay with your Chromecast.
[NOTE: You even got a good alternative available, called Vivaldi. If you aren’t a fanboy of Google Chrome go with this only]
Method 1: Use Android device and run Kodi in background
This is one of the best methods for streaming your favorite Kodi’s content to Chromecast. In this method, the streaming video will play even your Android device is screen locked, unlike the other methods I have listed below.
Furthermore, In this method, the video streaming on the Chromecast connects to the TV is just amazing. Kindly, follow the below steps carefully and let stream Kodi to Chromecast using Android.
Firstly, you will have to download all the required apps listed below, for performing this power efficient method.
- Chromecast 1/2/ultra
- ES File Explorer (you can download any file explorer that let you enable view hidden files)
- LocalCast App
- PlayerFactoryCore XML File
Step 1: Enable hidden files in ES File Explorer
- Once you have done with the download part, just head over to the ES File Explorer.
- Open it and go to the hamburger navigation drawer. From there tap Settings > Display Settings and tick the box that says “Show hidden files.”
Step 2: Move the XML file to the correct location
- Address the location where you downloaded the PlayerFactoryCore XML file in the Downloads folder and copy it.
- Then open the side panel of the ES File Explorer and choose Internal Storage.
- Now you need to navigate to Android > Data and look for either “org.xbmc.kodi” or “org.xbmc.xbmc”. It will depend on which streamer you’re using. However, Kodi will be “org.xbmc.kodi”.
- Open once, click on Files > .Kodi > Userdata and paste the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file into the folder that you have copied earlier. [NOTE: If you’re not able to locate the “.kodi” file it’s because you haven’t enabled the “Show hidden files” option yet.]
- Doing this makes Kodi ask you to where you want to cast.
Step 3: Open Kodi and Enjoy streaming your content
- After you have done with the above two options, open the Kodi and navigate to the media that you want to stream to your Chromecast.
- Kodi will then automatically launch “LocalCast,” or either if you have more casting apps installed other than LocalCast so, it will ask you to choose which app you would like to use.
- Once loaded, it asked which device you’d like to cast to. Select Chromecast device and then hit play.
- That’s it. You have done a great job. Now you can stream your Kodi video to the Chromecast connected TV.
Hurray! We have done with the first method. It’s not that tough, right?
Method 2: Using the Chromecast app on your Android device – Quick Method
It’s the easiest method that will aid you to stream Kodi to Chromecast from Android.
It is indeed a straightforward method in which we’re going to use the Google cast app’s screen mirror feature of an Android smartphone. For proceeding with this method what you need is just listed below.
- Android device
- Chromecast 1/2/Ultra
Step 1: Adding Cast icon to the quick settings
- It strictly depends on the type of the Android you peeps are using. If you’re on Standard Android builds, all you need to do is just pull down the Quick drawer settings and choose the pencil looking icon, doing this allows you to add more titles in the menu.
- Now you need to tap-hold the Cast option and drag it to the top sections of the icons. You can drag and locate it to the any of the above places you’re happy with.
Step 2: Select Chromecast
- Once again Swipe down the Quick drawer settings from the top status bar and tap on the cast option.
- It will show all the available devices to cast. You need to choose your Chromecast device, and afterward, you’ll get a prompt saying that you’re connected.
- And doing this will successfully mirror your device interface to your Chromecast connected TV.
Step 3: Open Kodi and enjoy
- Once you have done with the casting your phone screen to your TV now, it’s time to make your way to the Kodi and play any video you want.
- That’s it. You’re done.
Method 3: Using the Chromecast app on your PC
This method is very similar to the previous one, as we are going to use the Google cast extension available on chrome for mirroring the PC screen to the Chromecast connected TV. Doing this isn’t as hard as you may think, but yes it’s far from an elegant solution to your query. So, here’s how to stream Kodi to Chromecast from PC:
For starting with this method, what you need is?
- Chromecast 1/2/Ultra
- Google Chrome/Chromium Framework Browser
Step 1: Casting the desktop from browser
- Firstly, you have to head over to your Google Chrome and select the “Cast” option from the Chromecast extension.
- Then you will get to witness “Cast this tab to….” Besides, you will see a small down-down arrow on the right, Click that and select “Cast screen/window (experimental).”
- Once done, you will get the various options to share your screen. Click on “Entire screen.”
Step 2: Open Kodi and fire up your videos
- Just simply open the Kodi and play whatever you want.
That’s all fellas! I hope you found this How-To guide informative. The aforementioned steps have covered all the three methods that will help you to stream Kodi to Chromecast From Android or PC.