Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro rolled out only last month in February, 2018 and the demand to root this phone and install TWRP custom recovery has already reached heights. Although TWRP website hasn’t yet rolled out an official release for the device, two XDA senior members: Shahan_mik3 & vasishath managed to release an unofficial TWRP for it.
Why Should you Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro?
Rooting has its benefits, but you already knew that. If you are considering to install TWRP custom recovery, then you must also know that it comes with a lot of advantages and a few disadvantages. One of them being you’ll lose all warranty on the phone! You’ve been warned!
So, installing a custom recovery like TWRP will open up your phone to a whole world of possibilities like custom ROMs, Kernels, MODs some of which are popular like Xposed Framework, ViPER4Android or the ultra famous Dolby Atmos.
How to Install TWRP on Your Redmi Note 5 Pro?
- Backup your brand new Redmi Note 5 Pro to a personal computer or to a cloud drive like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.
- Unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 5 Pro. (Refer to my guide on unlocking the bootloader of any Xiaomi device)
- Install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. You can find the download link below.
Download Unofficial Build of Redmi Note 5 Pro TWRP Recovery
It is unofficial as of now, but pretty soon you will see this added to the approved list of TWRP recovery images available for Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Unofficial TWRP image named twrp-whyred-08022018.img by XDA senior member vasishath (Thank You!)
Steps to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
- Once you download TWRP within the same folder hold down on the SHIFT key on your keyboard and mouse right-click on the empty space on the screen.
- You should now see a pop-up menu where you need to select “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Now, you need to enter fastboot mode using your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Do this by turning off your phone then holding down the Volume Down key and Power button simultaneously.
- You will see a bunny graphic on the screen indicating that you are in the fastboot mode already.
- Without losing any further time, connect your device to the computer using a micro USB cable that came along with the phone.
- On the Windows PowerShell enter the following command & then press ENTER:
- You should immediately see a device ID on your Redmi Note 5.
- Lastly, enter the following command to install TWRP Recovery (Whyred) on the device:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-whyred-08032018.img
- Once the recovery has been flashed enter the command:
Now to enter the TWRP recovery that you had to flash on your device, do the following.
- Turn off your device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key and power button at the same time.
- Release only when the MI logo appears on the screen.
- You should now see TWRP Recovery on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Congratulations, now you have successfully installed custom recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro.
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Using Magisk?
Magisk is a systemless rooting alternative to SuperSu. Although the latter is still used, Magisk is taking over this sphere rapidly because you can still access apps like Android Pay, Netflix and Pokemon GO while being rooted!
You will need:
Steps to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro Using Magisk
So, here’s how you can root your device.
- Either download these files directly to your Android or use a PC and then move them over to Redmi Note 5 Pro’s internal storage.
- Ensure that your Developer Options is unlocked. To unlock, head over to Settings, About Phone, Build Number, then tap on it 7 times.
- Now boot your phone into TWRP that you installed above using the key combination Power button + Volume Down button.
- When TWRP opens up, hit Install and you’ll see Magisk ZIP sitting there. Tap the button Install Image.
- Then Swipe to confirm Flash.
- Once flashing has completed, hit Reboot System.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed Magisk on your Redmi Note 5 Pro. Now to install Magisk Manager, get to Settings, Security and tap Unknown Sources. Accept the warning and proceed to activation.
Now, the Magisk Manager that you download earlier must be in the Downloads folder. In case you saved this file elsewhere, you need to navigate over to that folder and install while you are there.
Once you install Magisk Manager, you will receive a confirmation message that your device is properly rooted.
How to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro using SuperSu?
As mentioned before, SuperSu is yet another fine way to root your Android device. Since you already have TWRP custom recovery installed on the device, all you have to do is flash SuperSu via TWRP and root your Redmi Note 5 Pro in just a few seconds.
Let’s now go through the stuff that you need to download before you root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 pro.
You will need:
- Root Check app
- SuperSU ZIP
Steps to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 pro Using Super SU
- On your Android, go to Google Play Store and download a free app called Root Check. This app will be used later on to confirm whether or not your device is rooted.
- Download SuperSU Zip file directly on your phone. Or, you can move it from PC to phone also.
- Once this SuperSU Zip file has been moved/downloaded to the device, power off your phone as you normally do.
- Then hold down the power button and volume up key simultaneously until you see the screen startup.
- The device will automatically boot into custom recovery, which in this case is TWRP.
- Hit Install, then locate the SuperSU Zip folder. It should be inside the Downloads folder if you used your device.
- Now you need to flash this folder, so confirm this process by swiping at the bottom, then hit Reboot System.
- Once the system is back on, you can see SuperSu app installed on your phone.
- To confirm, open the app Root Check once again. You will now see that your device is properly rooted.
And that’s how you root Redmi Note 5 Pro using TWRP as a custom recovery.
In case you run into any trouble while you Root Xiaomi Redmi note 5 pro, do not hesitate to drop us a comment down below!