Razer made a lot of noise when it announced the new Razer phone after its acquisition of Nextbit. The Razer phone is meant for gamers and targeted towards power users but what power user uses their device without root access? So In today’s tutorial we will take a look at how you can root Razer phone and install Magisk on the device.
- Razer Phone with an Unlocked bootloader.
- ADB and Fastboot environment installed on your computer (preferably windows, it’s easier that way)
- Corresponding USB drivers
- Developer options enabled
- 70% or charge on your device
- Magisk file
- Developer options enabled on the device
- USB debugging and OEM unlock enabled on the device
Before we go any further, I must tell you. This process may brick your device and damage it irreparably. Things can and may go wrong, beware of the consequences. You have been warned.
Steps to Install TWRP to Root Razer Phone
- Download TWRP from the file above and move it to the ADB folder on your system
- Switch off the device
- While holding volume down button (-) plug the usb cable to the device which should be connected to the computer. (Make sure the cable is connected to the PC before hand, the razer phone has a peculiar way of going in the fastboot mode)
- Once in fastboot mode, go back to the folder and holding shift press the right mouse button on any empty space in the folder.
- A menu shall pop up, click open powershell window here
- Now in the command prompt type
adb shell getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix
- It will give a result like
Note this down, we will need it later.
- Close the command prompt
- Remove the cable and Hold the power button for 15-20 seconds till the phone restarts.
- Power the device back off, and Holding volume down (-) connect the USB cable again.
- Once the device is back in fastboot mode, follow the step above to open the command prompt/powershell window again.
- Now look for what result you got for the previous command, if you got
- If you got
- Once the process is completed, close the powershell and reboot the device, and get it back to fastboot mode with power down and USB cable
- Once in fastboot mode again, type
fastboot flash boot twrp-3.2.1-0-cheryl.img && fastboot reboot
- Your device will now boot to TWRP, DO NOT swipe to allow modification instead choose the read only option.
- Once in TWRP, click reboot and at the bottom switch to the slot your device was originally using.
- Now go back to TWRP main menu and Hit backup, let it backup. Once it’s done you should copy it to a safe location like your PC at a later stage.
- In the open powershell type
adb push twrp-installer-3.2.1-0-cheryl.zip /sdcard
- Now on the device, go to Install and navigate to the TWRP zip file. Hit Install and swipe to confirm.
- Once done go to reboot and reboot back to system.
- Congratulations you have successfully installed TWRP on your Device
Steps to Root Razer Phone using Magisk
- Copy the downloaded Magisk file to the root folder of your device’s internal storage.
- Go back to TWRP mode by holding Volume Down (-) + Power button simultaneously
- Once in TWRP, hit Install and navigate to the Magisk file on your device
- Tap on the file and swipe to confirm install.
- Once completed, go to reboot and reboot to system.
- When you are back in the system, download Magisk Manager.
- Done, you now have root access on your device.
We hope this guide help you navigate the complex A/B partition on the Razer phone and allowed you to Root razer phone. If you face any trouble do let us know in the comments and we will try to help you out.
If you would like to know more about how you can install the TWRP recovery on any phone, click on this link. If you are interested in custom ROMs for any other device, you can find a list of them right here!
For any other queries, comments or questions about anything root related do leave us a line in the comments sections down below, we promise to get back to you!