The OnePlus 6 is the latest “Flagship Killer” Smartphone from OnePlus and features the latest design, hardware, and software. The main highlight apart from the features is the price of OnePlus 6 which costs quite less than the flagship Smartphones from brands like Samsung and HTC.
Even though OnePlus 6 is a brand new Smartphone with the latest hardware and software, there are many reasons to root and install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6. Rooting and installing TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 6 will allow you to install custom ROMs and kernels, uninstall unwanted system apps and perform other tweaks that can improve the performance and battery life of your OnePlus 6 Smartphone.
To help you root and install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6, today we are here with a detailed article on the same. So without any more due, let us get started with the guide on how to root OnePlus 6 and install TWRP recovery.
Below are some prerequisite procedures to complete before attempting to root OnePlus 6 and install TWRP recovery.
- Unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 6.
- Make sure that your OnePlus 6 has at least 80% of battery backup.
- Perform a complete backup of your device.
- Download the TWRP recovery ZIP file from here to your PC. Unzip the folder on your desktop.
- Download ADB Drivers from here to your PC. Unzip the folder in your “C:” drive.
- Download Magisk zip from here. Unzip and copy the unzipped folder to your OnePlus 6.
- Enable OEM Unlock and USB Debugging on your OnePlus 6. To do the same, open the “Settings” app on your OnePlus 6 and then click on “Developer Options”. Now enable the options that say “OEM Unlock and USB Debugging” and “USB Debugging”.
How to Unlock Bootloader in OnePlus 6
- Switch OFF your OnePlus 6.
- Now boot it into Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding the Power + Volume Up buttons until the Fastboot logo appears.
- Connect your OnePlus 6 to the PC.
- Open the folder where you unzipped the ADB Drivers. Click on the right mouse button on an empty space in the window.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click on the option that says “Open Command Window Here”.
- When the command prompt window appears, first type the command “fastboot devices” and press Enter. If your device is recognized by Fastboot drivers, it will show a serial number for your device.
- Now, type the command “fastboot oem unlock” and press Enter.
- On your OnePlus 6 screen, a warning message will appear indicating that you are about to unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus 6. To proceed further, navigate to the “Yes” option using the Volume buttons and confirm the selection using the Power button.
- Lastly, type the command “fastboot reboot” and press Enter.
- Your OnePlus 6 will now reboot.
After the reboot, the bootloader in your OnePlus 6 will be unlocked.
How to Root OnePlus 6 and Install TWRP Recovery
- From the unzipped TWRP recovery folder on your desktop, copy the files “boot.img”, “root.zip”, and “TWRP-BLUE-FIX.zip” and paste them onto the internal storage space of your OnePlus 6.
- Power OFF your OnePlus 6. Once switched OFF, boot the device into Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding the Power + Volume Up buttons until you see the boot logo.
- After entering the Fastboot Mode, connect your OnePlus 6 to the PC.
- Now, open the unzipped ADB folder and on an empty space inside the folder, click on the right mouse button.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click on the “Open Command Window Here” option.
- A Command Prompt window will now open.
- Inside the command prompt window, type the command “fastboot flash boot_a twrp.img” and press Enter.
- Next, type the command “fastboot flash boot_b twrp.img” and press Enter.
- After running the above two commands, TWRP recovery will be installed on your device.
- Now Power OFF your device again. This time, press and hold the Power + Volume Down buttons to enter the TWRP recovery mode.
- You may have to enter your screen unlock code to use the TWRP recovery mode.
- If the language is Chinese, the right-most option in the third row is “Settings”. Click on the “Settings” option, then click on the “Globe” icon. Now choose the English language.
- From the TWRP recovery main menu, click on “Install”.
- Click on the “Install Image from Below” option.
- Now find the “boot.img” file that was copied to your device in Step 1.
- Repeat Step 13 to Step 15 and flash the remaining two files that you copied to your device in Step 1.
- Again repeat the Step 13 to Step 15 and this time, select the Magisk file from the unzipped Magisk file that you copied to your OnePlus 6 earlier.
- After flashing all the above files, reboot your OnePlus 6.
And that is it. Now you have successfully completed the procedures required to root and install TWRP recovery on OnePlus 6.
Got any doubts while following the above tutorial? Leave a comment below with your query and we will help you ASAP!