OnePlus 5T was launched in the end November last year with Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box. However, in December, OnePlus 5T received the official Android 8.0 Oreo update and ever since then users are wondering how to root OnePlus 5T on Android Oreo.
This guide is aimed at how to root OnePlus 5T having Android Oreo-based Oxygen OS Open Beta 1 or above. However, you must first install TWRP recovery on the Oxygen OS running on your OnePlus 5T prior to rooting. Even though the official recovery is under development, you can use the below mentioned unofficial TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 5T device.
The Oxygen OS Open Beta 1 by OnePlus brings all the features from the latest version of
Android 8.0 Oreo to your OnePlus 5T. After a lot of waiting, OnePlus finally delivered on its
promise to the release the first Android Oreo-based Oxygen OS update for the device by late December. Furthermore, the latest update, the Oxygen OS 5.0 Update brings a plethora of exciting features to OnePlus 5T.
The minted functionalities of Parallel Apps, a revamped camera UI, beauty effects for portrait mode, the newly designed quick settings popup and lift-up display considered to be the most notable features of Android Oreo are readily available on your OnePlus 5T device. With this guide, you can root your OnePlus 5T running on the latest Android Oreo-based Oxygen OS.
Install TWRP and Root Oneplus 5t running Android 8.0
However, it has become imperative to root your device the right way corresponding with the new update so that you don’t mess up your OnePlus 5T. Hence, we have got you the perfect guide for rooting your OnePlus 5T on Android 8.0 Oreo. From a compatible TWRP for your OnePlus 5T running on Android Oreo to how to root your device, the guide consists of detailed steps for flashing custom recovery on your device and rooting it.
It is to be duly noted that not all the available recovery images are compatible with OnePlus 5T. Thus, it is crucial to install the compatible version of TWRP so that you don’t end up bricking your OnePlus 5T.
Read the below guide to know how to install a custom recovery on your device and root the OnePlus 5T based on Oxygen OS 5.0 running Android Oreo.
- To flash TWRP on your device, firstly you need to have an unlocked bootloader. Please
refer a detailed guide for unlocking your bootloader if you haven’t already done so. After
unlocking the bootloader, you can continue to follow the guide for flashing custom
recovery on your device and root your phone.
- Minimum 60 % – 80 % of battery charge. It is important that your phone doesn’t die in
the middle of any process or else it will be bricked.
- Ensure that you have already installed the ADB and Fastboot drivers installed on your PC
which will be used to flash the TWRP on your OnePlus 5T. If they are not installed then,
please download and install the Minimal ADB and Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Since flashing TWRP will wipe all the data off your phone, it is better to take a complete backup of your apps and data.
developer menu taps seven times on the build number.]
- TWRP Recovery Images: Blu_Spark TWRP Recovery
- Root Manager: SuperSU
- OR Magisk
manager. However, if you are a beginner in rooting and flashing, SuperSu would be the best.]
How to Install TWRP on OnePlus 5T?
- Firstly, you need to copy SuperSU Zip file or Magisk Zip file to your phone after you have downloaded it.
- Next, on your PC, Copy the downloaded Blue-Spark TWRP “recovery.img” file to the same path where you have installed the Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Power off your OnePlus 5T to boot into Fastboot Mode.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and the Power key button simultaneously to boot
into the Fastboot Mode.
- Connect your OnePlus 5T to the PC and proceed.
- Navigate to the same folder where ADB and Fastboot drivers are installed.
- Hold the Shift key on your PC and press Right Click to open the Command Prompt at
your current location. When you see a menu, press the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option.
- Once the command prompt is open, please enter the below command:
- As mentioned earlier, please ensure that the BlueSpark TWRP file is stored as the same
location as the ADB and Fastboot drivers. Rename the .img file to “recovery.img” and
type the below command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Once the recovery is installed, please follow the below steps to root your phone. Please
do not reboot your device as the procedure is not over. Follow the below steps in the next section to root your phone.
How to Root OnePlus 5T running Android Oreo?
As we mentioned earlier, there are two methods to root your OnePlus 5T. You can either root your device with SuperSU via TWRP or by flashing Magisk.
Method 1: Root OnePlus 5T via Magisk
- After installing the TWRP Recovery on your device, boot into Recovery Mode.
- Using the Volume Down button, select the “Recovery” option and press the Power key to
enter the recovery mode.
- You will find the TWRP logo as the TWRP Recovery initiates. It will ask for your
permission to allow modifications to the partition. Swipe to enable the permission to
- Tap on Install and navigate to the directory where you copied the Magisk.zip file.
- Select it and Swipe to flash the .zip file. Once done, Wipe the Cache/Dalvik partition and
Reboot your OnePlus 5T.
Method 2: Root OnePlus 5T via SuperSU
- The process is same as the one for Rooting OnePlus 5T using Magisk.
- Boot into the recovery mode and select the SuperSU file instead of Magisk.zip and reboot your device once done.
By following the above guide, you will be able to install TWRP recovery on your OnePlus 5T
and root your OnePlus 5T with Android 8.0.
The guide is one of the simplest and the easiest methods to root your OnePlus 5T having Android 8.0 Oreo and Oxygen OS 5.0.