If you want to root or flash a custom recovery, the first step is to unlock the bootloader on your LG K20 Plus. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you have the freedom to flash a custom recovery like TWRP, and then custom zips & mods, which is otherwise not possible with a locked bootloader.
If you have already managed to Unlock the bootloader, then the next step is to flash TWRP and root the LG K20 Plus. here’s how you can do that easily.
- This guide is only intended for the LG K20 Plus (T-mobile model TP260 / MetroPCS model MP260). DO NOT try this if you do have the Verizon model VS501
- Unlocked Bootloader
- Go to Settings > Developer Options, and enable OEM Unlock and USB debugging
- Install the LG Drivers on your PC – DOWNLOAD
- Download nano_ADB & extract the zip file to a folder – DOWNLOAD
- TWRP file – DOWNLOAD
Extract the zip file. Rename the downloaded file to twrp.img & place it in the nano_adb directory
- SuperSU zip file – DOWNLOAD
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP & ROOT LG K20 Plus (T-Mobile/MetroPCS)
- Turn your phone off completely. Then while pressing and holding Volume Down, plug it into your PC. Phone screen will show Fastboot Mode.
- Open the nano_ADB folder. Then Shift + Right click > Open command window here. In the command window, type in the following commands one-by-one & hit Enter after each command.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Unplug your phone and turn it off by removing the battery & putting it back in
- While the phone is OFF, press & Hold Volume Down + Power. Keep both buttons pressed till you see the LG logo, then temporarily release Power, and hold it down again after a second. Volume Down should be kept pressed all the time.
- This will take you to the LG Factory reset screen.
- Use the Volume button to highlight YES, then press the Power button. YOu need to do this twice
- The phone will then reboot and enter the TWRP menu
- TWRP will ask you if you want to keep system read-only. Simply Swipe to Allow at the bottom
- Next, you will be presented with 8 boxes
- First thing to do is to disable the automatic encryption. To do this tap Wipe, then tap Format Data
- On the next screen, type yes and hit enter. This will erase all data on the device
- Once the data format is complete, press Back to go to the 8 button menu. Then tap Reboot and select Recovery (If you are asked to install TWRP app, tap Do Not Install)
- Once you have booted back to TWRP, plug in the phone to the PC.. You should see that the PC is now able to see the internal and external storage on your device. Transfer the download SuperSU.zip fle to the phone memory
- Swipe to confirm at the bottom to flash the file
- Once the flash completes successfully, tap Reboot System. If TWRP asks you to install the TWRP zip, tap Do not Install
- Wait for the phone to reboot, it might take longer than usual because we formatted data earlier. Once it has booted up, go through the setup. You should now see the SuperSU icon in your app drawer indicating that you have managed to successfully root your LG K20 Plus
So here’s how you can Install TWRP & Root LG K20 Plus (T-Mobile/MetroPCS). This method has been personally tested by me to be working. If you face any issues, feel free to let us know in the comments section below, and we would be happy to help you out