If you have ever wondered rooting the Huawei P20 Lite is bogus, and of no use, then the joke’s on you.
As we know rooting is the process of obtaining access to the operating system code of an Android device. It is equivalent to the term jailbreaking used with regards to iPhones. Rootings one’s operating system allows you to modify the software code present on the device or install other software that a manufacturer would otherwise not allow you to.
While some Android manufacturers allow you to root the device system with their permission, and others do not. Though Android devices have umpteen capability, delays by manufacturers to push out latest software updates for their devices have people stuck at a standstill with several devices losing product support entirely at times!
In the early months of 2018, Huawei had announced the unveiling of its new P20 series which shone a light on improved design, power, and latest technology. Falling under the budget spectrum of the series, the P20 Lite stands as a competitor to the Redmi Note 5 Pro. With a 5.84 inch fullscreen display, 16MP+2MP dual camera, HiSilicon Kirin 659 processor and other dazzling features powered by it are Li-Po 3000 mAh non-removable battery. When it comes to the software spectrum of the phone, it sports the Android 8.0 Oreo. If you’ve purchased the Huawei P20 Lite and are looking for a system upgrade for better functionality, the Magisk is the perfect tool to do so.
Root Huawei P20 Lite using Magisk
Rooting the Huawei P20 Lite would allow you the ability to modify its core OS. So if you’re not pleased with the current EMUI or Emotion User Interface, adjustments could be made, and easily!
Rooting also enables the installation of third-party mods that upgrade software capability, like Dolby Atmos for a better audio experience. It must be understood that the rooting operation involves risks and mobile headlines will not be held responsible for the improper following of procedure given.
The rooting process instructions below can be used for ANE-LX1 variants such as the ANE-
LO1, ANE-LX1, and ANE-L21. If your device is of the above variant and falls under the same category, you may go ahead and follow the given steps to root the Huawei P20 Lite using Magisk.
Before we begin with the steps, certain things must be done.
- Take a backup of your device in advance to prevent loss of valuable and necessary data.
- Keep your phone charged to at least 70-80%
- Unlock the bootloader on the Huawei. You can follow this detailed guide for the same: How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P20 Devices
- Download and install Huawei USB drivers on your PC
- Install Android SDK tools (ABD and Fastboot tool) on your PC to flash the patched ramdisk using fastboot.
- Patched Ramdisk image for Huawei P20 Lite
- Stock Ramdisk Image (required for unrooting)
How to Root Huawei P20 Lite using Magisk?
- Primarily, you need to unlock the Bootloader on your device by either navigating to the official Bootloader unlock page or referring to the comprehensive guide for the same.
- Once done, power off the device.
- Next, connect the USB cable to your phone while holding the volume down button. This puts your Huawei P20 Lite in fastboot mode.
- Download the patched ramdisk IMG file using the download link mentioned earlier.
- Then, transfer the file to ‘C:\adb’ folder. This folder on your PC stores ADB and Fastboot binaries.
- Within the same folder, press Shift Key + Right Click on a space.
- And select ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Confirm your phone has been detected correctly by issuing the following command:
- If the drivers have been successfully installed, you will see your device listed and a device ID shall pop up along with the fastboot message. If not, reinstall Huawei USB Drivers.
- Flash patched ramdisk image to root Huawei P20 Lite using the below command:
fastboot flash ramdisk patched_ramdisk.img
- Once complete, reboot your device using the command:
Once booted, the device will be rooted on the stock firmware. You can then download and install Magisk to hide the root completely that would help you to run certain apps that otherwise you couldn’t be able to run on the rooted device.
You are finally ready to enjoy the advantages of a rooted Huawei P20 Lite device with higher functionality and increased software capability.
Checking your Huawei P20 Lite Root:
To clear all doubts of whether your Huawei P20 Lite has root access or not, you could
download a Root Checker app. Once installed, open it and click on Verify Root. If rooted the appropriate message of the same correctly will appear.
It must also be noted that modifying or rooting the Operating System in any manner would
block OTA or over the air updates. If you wish to update your device after rooting, you may
uninstall any modules and third-party mods that have been installed on the device.
How to Unroot the Huawei P20 Lite
The following steps can be used to unroot the Huawei P20 Lite by flashing the stock ramdisk image.
Note: If any Magisk Modules have been installed, it is advised to deactivate, remove or
uninstall them before proceeding further.
- First and foremost the Stock ramdisk image must be downloaded.
- Next, boot the device into fastboot mode.
- Connect your phone using a USB Cable.
- Then copy the ‘original_ramdisk.img’ file to ‘C:\abd.’
- Hold the Shift Key and Right Click on space inside the folder.
- And select ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Stock ramdisk must be flashed to unroot Huawei P20 Lite using the following command:
fastboot flash ramdisk original_ramdisk.img
- Next, reboot the device using
- And you are done removing root from your Huawei P20 Lite.
Before you doze off, we would like to tell you that if you encounter any issue/error while implementing the aforementioned workaround, you can feel free to reach us by commenting down below and we will try to get back to you at the earliest. Hope this guide has helped to root your device hassle-free!