Huawei P20 and P20 Pro have been out for only a few weeks. Yet, curiosities have already piqued among the Android rooting fanatics.Rooting any Android device goes through TWRP. So, it is imperative that you get those TWRP images first.
The downside is that Huawei P20 and P20 Pro have not had an official TWRP release yet. Perhaps that’s because these devices have only reached a few hands so far? That’s only a guess.
I am fairly confident that regardless the delay right now, team TWRP will soon roll out a stable and official version. Until then you can use the unofficial TWRP images rolled out by a senior XDA member Pretoriano80.
In this guide, I will demonstrate two ways to root Huawei P20 and P20 Pro, one will use Magisk and the other will make use of SuperSU.
But before you get that far, you need to install TWRP on Huawei P20 (or P20 Pro), whichever of the two devices you own. To do so, Huawei bootloader unlock sequence must be followed. So, let’s get to that.
How to unlock Huawei bootloader for P20 & P20 Pro
Unlocking the bootloader in Huawei P20 and P20 Pro is similar to any Android device, with one minor, albeit important, difference.
All Huawei P20 and P20 Pro smartphone users must fetch a unique unlock password from the OEM itself. Isn’t that just dandy?! Reminds me of Xiaomi.
Once you have it, pair it up with the fastboot command and unlock the bootloader.
The steps written under will make this process a lot more clear for you but first, get these prerequisites.
List of Prerequisites
- Take a complete backup of your device before unlocking the bootloader.
- Ensure that the device is charged to over 50%.
- Download and install the Android SDK tools for your OS- Linux, Mac or Windows.
- Download and install Huawei USB drivers.
- Get your P20 or P20 Pro’s serial number and Product ID by dialling *#1357946#*#*
- Get your IMEI number for the device from Settings > System > About Phone.
Get unique unlock password from Huawei
- Open the Official Huawei Unlock page.
- Log in using Huawei account. If you don’t have one, create one.
- Accept the terms and proceed to next step.
- Fill the details on the unlock form appearing on the screen.
- In the first field, click the drop-down menu and select Since EMUI5.0.
- Then enter the product serial number as obtained above, IMEI, and Product ID.
- At last, click on the Commit
Check our detailed guide on how to unlock huawei Bootloader
Your 16-digit unlock password must be displayed on screen now. Copy it somewhere safe and easily accessible.
Unlock Huawei bootloader
- From Settings, Enable Developer Options > Enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging.
- Accept the RSA fingerprint appearing on your phone and tap on Trust this device.
- Turn off your phone.
- Press & hold the Volume Down key.
- Connect the device to a PC/Mac with a USB cable.
- Go to C:\adb where ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on the mouse to open a Command Window/PowerShell window.twrp_p20_0.1
- Thereafter, enter the following commands:
fastboot devices */to detect your device/* fastboot oem unlock enter-your-unlock-password-here */unlock bootloader with unlock password/*
- On the device, choose Yes when a prompt appears. Use the Volume Up/Down buttons to select Yes/No.
- Now, proceed with installing TWRP on your device.
Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei P20 and P20 Pro
Also check our guide on TWRP Custom Recovery
- Go to C:\adb on your computer.
- Make sure that you have cut/pasted Unofficial TWRP image in this folder.
- Rename the respective TWRP image as “recoveryp20.img” for Huawei P20 & “recoveryp20pro.img” for Huawei P20 Pro.
- Press & hold SHIFT key and right-click the mouse to open a menu.
- Select Open Command Prompt here or Open PowerShell window here in case of Windows 10.
- Power down Huawei P20 or P20 Pro.
- Connect to the computer using the USB cable and hold the Volume Down key.
- When you see fastboot mode on the device screen, enter the following commands
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recoveryp20.img */for Huawei P20/*
fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk recoveryp20pro.img */for Huawei P20 Pro/* fastboot reboot
- Once TWRP is installed, reboot your device.
- Then turn off your device and retry entering the bootloader menu. This will be a good practice for later purposes and try not to brick your device in the process.
How to Root Huawei P20 and P20 Pro
Now is the time to root your brand new Huawei P20 and P20 Pro.
As mentioned before, there are two ways to do this once TWRP has been installed.
- Using Magisk
- Using SuperSU
Rooting using Magisk
- Download the latest Magisk ZIP file, Magisk Manager through your device.
- Store these downloaded files in the /sdcard.
- Power off the phone.
- Hold the power and volume up keys simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery mode.
- Tap Install within TWRP interface and navigate to Magisk folder.
- Then Swipe to confirm flash.
- Once Magisk ZIP has been flashed, hit Reboot system.
- Open the Downloads application and install Magisk Manager.
- From the left-side menu, you can install various Magisk mods like Dolby Atmos, Xposed Framework, etc.
- Download Root Checker from the Play Store to confirm your root status.
Rooting using SuperSU
- Download the latest SuperSU ZIP.
- Save it in the /root/sdcard.
- Power off your device.
- Enter the bootloader menu and enter TWRP.
- Tap Install and choose SuperSU ZIP folder.
- Tap Install Image and then swipe to confirm flash.
- Then reboot system.
- From the Root Checker app, verify your root status.
- Try downloading any APK. If SuperSU prompt opens seeking permission that means you have successfully rooted your device.
Got questions or suggestions? Share with me your experience down in the comments.