Alright so you own a Google Pixel 2 and you want to get it rooted to enjoy the countless benefits of rooting like Flashing Custom ROMs, Patching, Modding, etc. Are you wondering How to Root Google Pixel 2 and Install TWRP Recovery on it? Well we have the perfect guide for you!
Well, if your answer is Yes, then you are at the right place as in this post we will guide you on How to Root Google Pixel 2 and Install TWRP On Oreo 8.1.
Google Pixel 2 was launched in October 2017 but it is still one of the best Android Device till date. Google Pixel 2 Smartphone comes with Snapdragon 835 processor under the hood, 4GB of RAM, 12.2MP of the Rear camera with Dual Flash, 8 MP Front Camera, 5.0 inch Full HD IPS Display and 2000 mAh Capacity battery and Latest Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box – which are really good specs on paper as well as in real time scenarios.
In order to Root Google Pixel 2, we first need to Install TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project) Recovery on Google Pixel 2.
Let us now take a look at some of the prerequisites.
- Make sure you have at least 80% charge on your Google Pixel 2 Smartphone.
- This guide is only for Google Pixel 2.
- Follow all the steps carefully otherwise you may end up messing up with your Smartphone.
Now let us take a look at some of the things that you should know prior to Rooting Your Android Smartphone- Google Pixel 2.
- Your warranty would be voided.
- You may end up bricking your Smartphone during the process in case you don’t follow the steps carefully or afterward in a condition when you don’t know what are you doing with your Smartphone.
In order to Install TWRP Recovery on your Google Pixel 2, you need to unlock the bootloader on your Google Pixel 2.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Pixel 2
In order to unlock the bootloader on your Google Pixel 2, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings on your Google Pixel 2, tap on System and then select About Phone.
- Tap on Build Number 7 times until you see a message saying “You’re now a developer”.
- Press Back and now tap on Developer Options, here Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
- Connect your Google Pixel 2 to your PC via USB and type the following Commands in Command Window in order to open a Command Prompt window, open the ADB Folder, then Press Shift + Right Mouse Key and select Open Command Window here.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now enter the following Command:
fastboot flashing unlock
That’s it you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Google Pixel 2.
Okay, so enough of it now let us take a look at How to Install TWRP on Google Pixel 2.
How to Install TWRP on Google Pixel 2
- Now, you need to download TWRP.img file for your Google Pixel 2 on your PC.
- Now Open Command Window in the folder that contains TWRP.img file you just downloaded by Pressing Shift + Right Mouse Key and selecting Open Command Window here from the Context Menu.
- Enter the following Command in the Command Window to boot your Google Pixel 2 into bootloader mode:
Fastboot reboot bootloader
- Now check if your Google Pixel 2 is detected by the PC by entering the following command:
- Now to flash TWRP Recovery, enter the following Command:
Fastboot Flash TWRP recovery.img
If your filename differs then replace TWRP recovery.img with your filename.
- Now to reboot your Device, enter the following command:
That’s it, now you have successfully flashed TWRP Recovery on your Google Pixel 2. You can now disconnect your Google Pixel 2 from your PC.
Now let us see how you can Root your Google Pixel 2.
How to Root Google Pixel 2
In order to Root your Google Pixel 2, you need to follow these steps carefully:
- First of all, you need to download Supersu file for your Google Pixel 2, you can download it by clicking the download button below.
- Once you have downloaded the above file, rename it as Root.zip and place it in some folder on your Phone or SD Card.
- Now boot into Recovery Mode by holding Power + Volume Down Keys for a few seconds until the Smartphone boots.
- Now Tap on Backup and do a full backup just to be on the safer side.
- Once the backup is completed, tap on Install Zip and now navigate to the Root, Zip file and tap on it.
- Now Swipe to Confirm the Installation.
- Wait till it finishes. Once it’s done, tap on Reboot System to Reboot your Google Pixel 2.
That’s it, you have successfully Rooted your Google Pixel 2. You can also root your Pixel using the Magisk module, we have left a download link to that, down below!
So that’s it guys, it was our take on How to Root Google Pixel 2 and Install TWRP On Oreo 8.1. In case you are facing any error or have any query, you can leave them in the Comments Section down below.