Can’t log in to Windows 10 as your admin account was locked? Is there a way to remove, reset or get past a forgotten Windows password? The easiest solution is to use a password reset disk that needs to be created when you set up the computer. If you do not have any password reset disk, here are two ways to help you reset forgotten Windows 10 / 8 / 7 password and regain access to your locked computer.
Method 1: Reset Windows Password with Installation Disk
Forgot your Windows log-in password and you don’t want to loose any files on your PC? Here is a workaround by which you can reset forgotten Windows password with installation disk. No need to use a password reset disk.
- Boot your computer using your Windows installation disk.
- When you get into the Windows Setup screen, press SHIFT + F10 keys to bring up the Command Prompt window.
- Now we have to swap the sethc.exe with cmd.exe. Type the following commands and press Enter.
copy d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe d:\
copy /y d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
- Now, reboot your computer. Remember to remove the Windows installation disk so your computer doesn’t try to boot from it again.
- At the login screen where you enter your password, press Shift key for five times. The Command Prompt will show up. Run the following command to reset your forgotten password:
net user user_name new_password
- Exit the Command Prompt and you can log in to your user profile with the new password!
Method 2: Reset Windows Password with PCUnlocker
Okay, I admit, resetting Windows password with the above trick might be slightly harder than using a third-party password recovery tool. If you’re a computer novice, I would recommend you try PCUnlocker, which enables you to reset, unlock, bypass Windows 10 / 8 / 7 /Vista / XP passwords on your laptop/desktop/tablet PCs. The program is completely safe and easy to use. Let’s proceed:
- Download the ISO image of PCUnlocker, and burn it to a CD, or to a USB device, like a flash drive. If you don’t know how to create a bootable CD/USB from ISO image, use the freeware ISO2Disc or Rufus.
- After the CD or USB drive is created, boot from it on the computer that you’re resetting the password on. When you boot up to the PCUnlocker tool, you’ll see the following screen.
- Choose the account that you’re locked out of, and click Reset Password
- Enter a new password you’ll use to log on to your computer, and click OK.
- Once your forgotten Windows password is changed, click Restart, then remove the CD. You can log in to your locked account with new password.
Forgetting Windows password can cause your computer to be inaccessible, but it’s happened to all of us at some point or another. This guide will ensure that you can reset forgotten Windows password without password reset disk. If you think these tricks are helpful, don’t forget to share with your friends.