Xiaomi has seen phenomenal success in 2017 thanks to their ever popular Redmi lineup. They have dethroned Samsung as the number 1 performer in the market, with this massive number of devices being sold every day the number of developers for the devices is on the rise too. Today we look into how you can root your Redmi Note 5 and Redmi 5 Pus and install a custom recovery to install custom ROMs further down the line.
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5/ Redmi 5 plus
- An unlocked bootloader
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your windows computer.
- A backup of your device (Incase something goes wrong, you will lose all your data anyway while unlocking the bootloader)
- TWRP for your device (Redmi Note 5 / Redmi 5 Plus / Redmi 5)
- Magisk Manager or SuperSu
- You will need an unlocked bootloader.
- Copy the TWRP you downloaded in the step above to your ADB folder
- In any empty space in the folder hold shift and click the right mouse button
- Select “Open Powershell Window here”
- Boot the device into fastboot mode (Volume down and power simultaneously) and connect it to the PC
- To install TWRP for the Redmi 5 key in
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-rosy.img
- To install TWRP for the Redmi Note 5 or Redmi 5 Plus type
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-vince.img
- Once it is completed, to reboot the device type
- You have not successfully installed TWRP on Redmi Note 5 / TWRP on Redmi 5 plus
Root Redmi Note 5 or Redmi 5 plus
- Boot the device to TWRP
Hold Volume Up (+) and Power button to enter TWRP
- In TWRP, Tap Wipe and then Tap Format Data
- Swipe to confirm and accept anything that comes in the way
- Once the data is wiped, tap reboot and then recovery inside reboot.
- The phone will reboot to TWRP, here Tap Mount.
- Connect your phone to the PC and Tap “Enable MTP”
- Copy Magisk or SuperSu whichever one you downloaded to your device’s root storage
- Disconnect the device from the PC then Tap “Install”
- Select the Magisk or SuperSU file and swipe to confirm flash
- Once the installation is completed tap “Wipe” and click “Wipe Cache/Dalvik” button
- Once that is done hit Reboot and reboot to system.
- You have successfully installed TWRP and Rooted your Redmi Note 5 and Redmi 5 plus
If you faced any trouble do let us know down in the comments and we will try to help you out with it.