Android is wonderful. Open and nonrestrictive unlike some of its competition (Cough*IOS*Cough)
But, not every phone ships with the perfect system OS and you got to tweak around a fair bit to get it to a point where you are satisfied, alternatively, you could also flash a custom rom and get exactly what you need. For that you would require a custom recovery like TWRP and in today’s tutorial we are going to touch upon exactly that. So read on to learn how you can install TWRP recovery on any android device.
- An Android Device with an unlocked bootloader.
- A minimum of 70% charge on your device.
- A Windows PC with ADB and Fastboot environment.
- TWRP downloaded for the device you want to install it on.
- Developer Options enabled on your device
This process may brick your device irreparably and can cause permanent damage, you have been warned! With that out of the way, let’s look at some pros and cons for installing a custom recovery.
Install TWRP Recovery on Any Android Device Manually
- Enable “OEM unlocking” and “USB Debugging” from the developer options
- If you don’t have ADB and Fastboot drivers ready and setup to deploy you may consider doing that now. (Download this tool or this tool if you want something light and fast)
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed your ADB driver and on any empty space hold shift and then right click
- Click on the Open Powershell window here or whatever the equivalent to open the command terminal is on your system.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Reboot the device to fastboot mode by typing
adb reboot bootloader
- Check if it is recognised successfully by your PC by typing
- Now copy the recovery files which you have downloaded and rename it to Recovery. (You can use the original name too but we recommend you use our method)
- Now just key in
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
(Change the recovery.img to any other name you may have chosen for the extracted recovery)
- Once this operation is successful you would have installed TWRP on your Android device.
Install TWRP Recovery on any Android Device with TWRP Manager
If your phone is rooted then you can use the TWRP Manager app to install TWRP on your device. The process is fairly simple.
- Click on the button below to get your hands on TWRP Manager App
2. Once downloaded, install it and open the app.
3. Now select the option to install TWRP on your device
4. Follow the instruction on screen and continue.
Install TWRP on any Android Device with Official TWRP App
Similar to the TWRP Manager method, the Official TWRP App too requires root and if your device is rooted we suggest you use this app as it is the easiest way to install TWRP.
- Download the Official TWRP App from the Play Store.
2. Install and open the Official TWRP App on your device
3. Hit the TWRP Flash button and input the corresponding data
4. Download the latest TWRP available within the app and tap flash to recovery
If done correctly you should have TWRP installed successfully.
We hope this guide helped you install TWRP on any Android device, if you face any problem during the process drop us a comment and we will try to help you as best as we can. If you want to have a look at some of the specific custom ROMs that we covered, do click on this link.