Moto Z2 Force users now have a reason to rejoice. The budget smartphone which was launched six months ago boasts of Snapdragon 835 and features 4 GB RAM with 64 GB internal storage and 2730 mAh battery; powerful specifications no doubt. But to unlock the true potential of your device, you need to install TWRP Recovery and learn how to root Moto Z2 Force
However, the unavailability of an official TWRP app for Moto Z2 Force made it tedious for those Android enthusiasts who want to root their Moto Z2 Force. After the official TWRP support was launched recently, it is now possible to flash TWRP and root Moto Z2 Force.
If you are looking for a full guide on how to install TWRP recovery and Root your Moto Z2 Force we have got you covered.
Moto Z2 Force Specifications:
- 5.5-inch P-OLED screen with 1440 x 2560 pixels (534 ppi density)
- Android 7.1 upgradable to Android 8.0
- 4 GB RAM with 2.35 GHz Clock Frequency
- Snapdragon 835 Octa-core Processor
- 12 MP rear and 5 MP front flasher
- Non-removable 2730 mAh battery
Now that we have you covered with the specifications of Moto Z2 Force let us jump straight to the rooting guide.
For rooting any Android smartphone, all you need is a custom recovery installed on the device. From there it is relatively simple. However, before installing a custom recovery on your Android phone, you need to have an unlocked bootloader. Failing to which you won’t be able to flash a custom recovery on your device and hence, you won’t be able to root your smartphone.
To root your Moto Z2 Force, you need to install TWRP recovery on your device. But first, you need to unlock your bootloader if it is not already done. After installing the custom recovery on your phone, you just need to flash the SuperSu.zip or Magisk.zip and voila your Moto Z2 force will be rooted.
Reasons to root your Moto Z2 Force:
- Flexibility to customize the device as you see fit
- Install different custom ROMs and get a taste of various features
- Up to date, OS updates with custom ROMs
- Remove unwanted pre-installed apps and bloatware
- Install different mods to get the latest features of other OEMs
Pre-requisites for installing TWRP recovery
- Motorola USB Drivers (Latest)
- Full Back-up of Data (Since the device will be wiped entirely)
- Installed ADB and Fastboot Drivers
- Minimum charging on 60%
- Unlocked Bootloader
The pre-requisites as mentioned above are a must for flashing the custom recovery on your Moto Z2 Force. If you don’t have ADB and Fastboot drivers you can download them from the link given below. Ensure that you have created a full back-up of your device so as not to lose any critical data.
Once you have downloaded and installed everything mentioned you could start with rooting your device.
Downloading the above mentioned two files is necessary for one to do the task. Besides, you can download either SuperSU or Magisk, relies on your choice of how you want to root the device.
If you have an unlocked bootloader, you can skip this step and proceed to flash the TWRP recovery directly.
- On your phone go to the Settings menu
- In the About Phone section, tap seven times on the build no. to unlock Developer options
- Navigate to developer options and tap on the below two options to turn it on
- Enable USB Debugging
- Enable OEM Unlock
- On your PC navigate to the folder when you have installed the adb and fastboot drivers
- Hold Shift + Right Click to open a menu option
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Command Prompt
- Connect your phone to the PC and type in the below commands to check if your device is detected
adb reboot bootloader
- Once the bootloader screen is displayed on your Moto Z2 Force type in the following commands to unlock the bootloader
fastboot oem unlock-go
It will take 5-7 minutes for the process to complete and your device will be rebooted. At this stage, you have successfully unlocked your bootloader. Now you can go ahead and flash the TWRP recovery .img on your Android smartphone and root your device.
Install TWRP Recovery on Moto Z2 Force
Now that you have unlocked your bootloader we can start flashing the custom recovery and root your phone. Make sure you have downloaded all the necessary files as mentioned.
- Copy the TWRP .img file to the same folder where you have installed the ADB and Fastboot drivers
- Ensure that you have enabled USB debugging by unlocking the developer options by pressing the build number seven times under the About section in the Settings menu
- Using the same set of keys to open the Command Prompt at the current location once again and type the following command to check if your device is detected
adb reboot bootloader
- After executing this command, your device will have booted in the bootloader mode
- Enter the following command to enter the fastboot mode and flash the recovery .img file onto your device
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1- 0-nash.img
- Once the command is successfully executed, you will see the TWRP logo on your device
- Swipe on your phone to allow the TWRP recovery to modify your system
- Go to Wipe menu and select Dalvik and Cache option to factory reset the phone
- Reboot your device by typing the following the command in the Command Prompt
How to Root Moto Z2 Force?
- Copy the TWRP installer .zip and Magisk/SuperSu .zip files to your device
- After successfully wiping the data and cache partition, proceed to flash these .zip files by hitting the Install button
- Navigate to the path where you have stored the .zip files and select them
- Swipe right to confirm the installation of the same
- Once installed, wipe the data, system and Dalvik cache partition again for a clean boot
- Reboot your device using the same fastboot command as mentioned above to reboot your device
It will take 15-20 minutes for your Moto Z2 Force to boot up. Once the device switches on it will be rooted. You can check the root status of your device by installing root checker app from the Play Store.