With the recent release of Android Lollipop (5.0), lots of new functionalities are introduced which would make our day to day usage easier and more comfortable. Unluckily Nexus 5 would not get all of those amazing features, as some of the features were excluded from other devices. Just like the Ambient Display function on the new Nexus 6 that displays new notifications whenever they pop up with a black and white lock screen.
Wouldn’t it be awesome if you can have this amazing feature as an option in your Nexus 5? I was really surprised when I actually figured out that I could have it on my Nexus 5. I am pretty much sure that you would also love to have this kind of awesome new functionality on your Nexus 5 too.
So, let’s get going…
Step 1: Download Ambient Display Mod
- Download the .zip file from this link
- Keep patience, and wait until the download is complete to proceed to next step.
Step 2: Boot your device into custom recovery mode
– If you don’t know how to do it, follow these steps
- Firstly, power off your phone by pressing and holding the power button for some time.
- Now, when the screen goes black, press and hold the volume down and power button simultaneously.
- Further, when the Android’s bootloader menu comes up, press the volume down button twice to change action to recovery mode, then press the power button to select it.
Step 3: Navigate to your downloaded file and install it
- Once you enter into the recovery mode you will find a file saying “install”. Tap on it.
- From there navigate to you device’s download folder and select the Ambient-Display-N5-LRX210.zip file.
- After that, in the bottom find the “swipe to confirm flash” and swipe it to the right to install it.
- The moment it’s finished, go ahead and tap “reboot system”.
Step 4: Enable Ambient Display
- When the phone is up again, go to the Settings menu and in that enter the “Display” menu, and make sure that the Ambient Display option is enabled.
That’s it! You would now discover new notifications to wake up you device to a black and white lock screen for a few seconds. With this feature, it would make upcoming messages incredibly easy and if you’d like to interact with one of those notifications, just tap anywhere, and the lock screen will return it its full color state.
If you enjoyed having this kind of feature in you Nexus 5 or if you have any problems or suggestions regarding this post, then let us know in the comment section below. Thank you for reading!