The mobile hotspot feature is a great addition to any smartphone in this day & age.The ability to share your mobile data with another device saves you from trouble at the worst of times.Samsung Galaxy S9, S8 and Note 8 from the US telecom providers like AT&T and Sprint block mobile hotspot.
To enable this feature, you are required to pay an additional fees, which seems quite unfair.In this guide, I will show you two foolproof ways to enable blocked mobile hotspot with other smartphones, computers, etc.
But first, let’s start by understand what is a mobile hotspot and how to access it normally?
Also Read: Best Apps for Samsung Galaxy S9
What is mobile hotspot and how to access it?
Mobile hotspot is a built-in feature of every smartphone & tablet. This option allows a user to share their data with other devices connected via wifi.
When you enable mobile hotspot on your smartphone, it will show up on the list of available Wifi connections.
A simple tap on this Wifi connection followed by a password facilitates this connection.
Here’s how to access it.
Unfortunately, this easy to share feature is blocked on the US carrier-locked devices like Galaxy S9, S8, and Note 8.
If you do not want to pay extra to use this feature, follow one of the below-mentioned methods.
You might also like: How to remotely turn off any android phone by sending SMS
Method 1: Enable blocked mobile hotspot using ADB commands
- Enable USB debugging on one of the devices you own, i.e., Galaxy S9, S8 or Note 8.
- Download and install ADB & Fastboot tools on your PC, Linux or Mac.
- Connect your device to a computer via USB cable.
- Open a command prompt (in Windows) or Terminal (in Linux & Mac) & enter the following commands:
adb shell settings put global tether_dun_required 0 settings put global tether_dun_apn "APNDUN,n.ispsn,,,,,,http://mms.sprintpcs.com,22.214.171.124,80,310,120,,default,dun,mms,supl"
In case the DUN APN rewrite command from above does not work, try one of the below two commands.
settings put global tether_dun_apn "APNDUN,n.ispsn,,,,,,,,,310,120,,dun" settings put global tether_dun_apn "APNDUN,n.ispsn,,,,,,,,,310,120,,default,dun”
- If the mobile data is ON, turn it OFF.
- Then enable the mobile hotspot from the Settings.
- Enter all the required details, set a fresh password.
- Now, enable the mobile data as well.
- Check on another smartphone or computer if your wifi hotspot is recognized.
- Try connecting to this wifi hotspot and check the signal strength, etc.
You might also like: 10 Best Yoga Apps for Android That You MUST Download
Method 2: Use these free apps
App #1: Download the QuickShortcutMaker app from the Play Store.
Perform these steps once you have successfully downloaded and installed this app.
- Open this app and in the search field, type test.
- Scroll & locate test.LTEfunctionality.
- Expand this entry and scroll down to the end. Tap on try.
- Then browse to the bottom and locate APN setting.
- Leave the default selections and then find APN type.
- Edit the default,mms to default,mms,dun.
- Save changes from the menu (three dots on the top-right).
Thereafter, try to enable mobile hotspot and connect other devices.
App #2: Download the Shortcut Master Lite app from the Play Store.
- Launch the app after downloading.
- Tap the top-right corner menu to open App Explorer.
- Search & locate com.test.LTEfunctionality and tap on it.
- You should now see three options, select the first entry LTEFunctionalitytest.
- Tap Launch from the sub-menu.
- Scroll down to find LTE APN Setting.
- Select the APN setting you must edit or add a new one instead.
- Save changes by tapping on the menu button again.
- Enable mobile hotspot by accessing your carrier’s internet APN setting. This may be different for everyone.
- Scroll down and tap APN Type. Then, change default,mms to default,mms,DUN.
- Save changes and exit.
Try to connect other devices to your mobile hotspot after enabling mobile hotspot and mobile data connection.