Always On Display has become a key feature in a lot of phones and more and more manufacturers are adopting some implementation of AOD on their devices thanks in part to the OLED displays which only light up the required pixels instead of lighting the whole display. OnePlus launched the OnePlus 6 with the aforementioned Always on Display but soon after they withdrew the feature altogether with software updates citing battery issues. A lot of users were quite disheartened, understandably, and to help them out today let’s take a look at How to Enable Always on Display on OnePlus 5/5T and OnePlus 6 so you can still enjoy your AOD.
Before we proceed further there are certain perquisites to enabling AOD on the OnePlus 5/5T and OnePlus 6 so let us see what you would require before we proceed further.
- A OnePlus device from the relatively latest generation (OnePlus 5, 5T or 6)
- Root Access with Magisk Manager as a Root App Management Solution (Find the Links to Guides for rooting the devices below)
Root OnePlus 5, OnePlus 5T or OnePlus 6
Before getting to the actual process, I would like to warn you that tinkering with your device, rooting, installing a ROM etc immediately voids your warranty. Furthermore, you could end up with a bricked device which would essentially become a very expensive paperweight. So be cautious.
Enable Always on Display on OnePlus 5/5T and OnePlus 6
- Download the Magisk Module from the button above.
- Connect your device to a PC using the USB Cable
- Copy the previously downloaded file to your devices internal storage
- Disconnect the device and go to the App Menu
- Navigate to Magisk Manager on your device and open the app
- In Magisk, on the top left, tap the menu button (3 Lines)
- Now Navigate to Modules and tap it
- In Module, Tap the Plus button to add your own module
- After Tapping the Plus (+) Button, Navigate to the downloaded module on the device and tap it.
- The Module will now install and once installed hit reboot.
- Your device will reboot and AOD will be enabled on your device.
- You can customize AOD by going to Settings > Display > Ambient Display
- In the setting, toggle lift up display and tap When to show, under which tap on Always On
- That’s all, you have successfully enabled always on display on your OnePlus 5/5T and OnePlus 6
AOD has become an integral feature for a lot of people and the ability to have an AOD is always a good one, One reason for OnePlus to remove the feature natively may have been their desire to only provide this to users when they have a complete feature instead of a buggy implementation. Reports indicate that OnePlus users may soon get the feature back in the Android P Update so let us hope that OnePlus listens to its users and add back the feature but until this our workaround should work just fine.
So this was our guide on How to Enable Always on Display on OnePlus 5/5T and OnePlus 6. If you have any queries about the process do let us know below in the comments and we will try to help you out the best we can.