Xiaomi revived the Android one platform by google with the launch of MI A1 and the A1 in a lot of ways is very different from a traditional Xiaomi device. The A1 instead of running Xiaomi’s custom UI skin MIUI runs stock android and thanks to the Android one platform it is already running Android 8.0 Oreo.
But now we have Android 8.1 the latest Android has to offer through an unofficial port of the Lineage OS which is a custom rom. So how can you get Xiaomi Mi A1 Lineage OS installed on your device? Let’s find out in today’s article!
For the uninitiated who must have forgotten by now the Mi A1 comes with a 5.5 inch full HD display covered in curved gorilla glass up top. On the Inside Snapdragon 625 a chipset with a proven track record runs the show which is coupled with 4 GB of Ram and 64 GB of internal storage which can be expanded via the help of a micro SD card slot sadly it is a hybrid tray so it can only accomodate 2 sim cards or 1 sim card or a micro sd card at a time. At the rear it sports dual rear snappers both with 12 Megapixel sensors each, one is a wide angle lense while the other is a 2x Zoom telephoto lense. On the front it comes with a 5 Megapixel selfie shooter. A 3080 mAh battery powers the device.
Lineage OS is the successor of our beloved Cyanogen Mod and offers excellent features we all loved from the Cyanogen Mod as well as some great new features like Custom button placement, Custom Quick-Setting tiles,LiveDisplay,Privacy Guard,PIN scramble,Custom pattern sizes and many more. Lineage OS currently supports over 185 devices and more are being added every day.
- MI A1 with an unlocked bootloader and TWRP Installed (Refer our handy dandy guide here to learn how to unlock your Xiaomi device)
- The Latest build of GApps (Download here)
- TWRP for MI A1 (Download)
- Lineage OS 15.1 for Mi A1 (Download)
- Magisk (Download)
This process can brick your device and has the possibility of going horribly wrong. Proceed with caution you have been warned.
How to Get Xiaomi Mi A1 Lineage OS Installed?
- Reboot Into recovery mode
- Hit wipe and wipe data and cache
- Now go to install and install the rom you downloaded previously.
- Once the installation is complete hit the reboot button but do not reboot you will brick your device
- Hit reboot and switch to the other slot (If you are on slot A then switch to Slot B)
- Flash the TWRP installer
- Then go back to reboot menu and reboot to TWRP Recovery
- Hit the install button and flash GApps downloaded earlier.
- Once GApps are installed, Flash Magisk.
- Once everything is successfully flashed. Reboot the device and voila you have Android 8.1.
Don’t forget to install magisk because for some reason without magisk the Rom doesn’t work and ends up bricking the device. The MI A1 is a little difficult to work on so be 110% sure that you actually want to flash your device.
The port isn’t official so there may be some bugs here and there but here’s a list of all the things we know work
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Data)
- IR Blaster
- Video Playback
We don’t yet know what doesn’t work so if you find something that doesn’t let us know in the comments.