In this tutorial, I will be sharing how to fix write permission error in external sd card primarily in Android Kitkat and Lollipop. Since the launch of Kitkat version, Android has started strengthening their security system and analogy by restricting 3rd party access to many key elements. Among them one is Kitkat and lollipop restricts third party apps to write to sd card directly.
But some apps needs to write to SD card to fulfill their purpose. Even this restriction causes many issues to those users whose devices contain low internal memory. Also it affects the functionality of many 3rd party apps as their prime functions rely on access to SD Card. If someone wants to edit their files, or delete files using 3rd party apps then they can’t due to restrictions. Many Apps have become dysfunctional due to this restriction however positive side is malware no longer can access or change files in SD card thus it does serve one good purpose.
But if you hate this restrictions and want to remove this restriction then by following guide you can easily unlock the SD Card write permission using any of the given below mentioned methods.
- Android device running on Android KitKat or Lollipop must be rooted.
- Your device needs to install ES File Manager
Steps to Unlock SD Card Write Permission
- Open “ES File Explorer” -> Go to Menu
- Enable Root Explorer -> Tap on Root Explorer text
- Click on 6th Option Mount R/W
- Change for Path “/” and “/System” from RO to RW
- Navigate to /system/etc/permissions directory
- Open platform.xml as text in “ES Note Editor”
- On top, you will find pencil icon, click on that to edit platform.xml file
- Find <permission name=”android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE” > and add one new line:<group gid=”media_rw” />
- Save the changes to the file.
- Restart the phone.
Credits – XDA Developers Forum
Read Also: Idea Loan
Method 2: NextApp SDFix app
SDFix app is developed by XDA developers forum member tliebeck . This is a small app that does the whole method 1 decribed above automatically so you don’t have to do anything. This is a basic utility app to change file permissions and unlocking write permissions for external SD card. This app doesn’t need any root access.
After installation, follow the on screen instructions :
- Open the app and click continue
- Click on the checkbox and click on continue
- Now app will do its work.
Thanks for stopping by. Hope so this guide solved your problem to fix external sd card write permission. If you need any help, you can comment below or contact us directly using our contact us page.