Google without any hesitation released its all new OS preview of Android N for the developers. As google wants as much as possible suggestions and feedback from the developers before the final release of Android N. If you want to try out this latest OS you could try it out on the preview on Nexus device. Just you need to have one of the nexus device mentioned below
Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player, Pixel C tablet.
There are two methods to install this preview on the nexus device. The first one is involving your device into Android Beta program. Once its done your device will receive OTA updates of all milestone builds in the N developer preview. The second method is manually installing it on your nexus device with help of a PC. If you decide to manually install the preview simultaneously you will have to install the updates manually as each time a new build is released.
Warning: Before installing backup your important data, contacts and other files as it will get erased. Also, Android N is currently at devloper preview stage so it is not meant for daily usage. Proceed at your own risk.
Involve your nexus device to Android Beta Program. For this just go to this link and sign-in using your Google account and this account should be connected with your device so go with that account. Here you will get confirmation whether your device is listed or not for this Android N preview. If it is listed then select the device and involve into the beta program. Once your are in the beta program you will start getting updates every 4 to 6 weeks, until the original version is publicly launched .
Note: If you opt-out when your device is running a beta version of Android, all user data on the device will be wiped.
- Download the factory image for your device from this link on your PC .(scroll down to Flashing a device manually for the download links)
- Now you need to setup ADB and fastboot on your PC. If you don’t know what to do just open this Link to install the setup on your PC it will just take few seconds of time to install.
- Now enable USB debugging on your device by going in settings -> Developers options -> USB Debugging and also accept always allow from this computer when you plug in the device.
- Now, turn off the device and unplug it from PC.
- Boot into the bootloader or fastboot mode. For this press and hold volume down/up and power button simultaneously for 4-5 seconds. Afterwards you will see a bootloader screen. Now connect your device to PC with a USB cable. (Choose fastboot if option is available) You can also issue the following code while connected to the PC, to boot into the bootloader (without powering it off).
- Now wait until the drivers get installed.
- Now open the factory image file on PC and extract it to get files with .img.
- When the folder with the extracted factory image is open, run the flash-all.bat file on PC and confirm the flashing process. Now wait for the process to get completed. . If you are using Linux or Mac OS, run the flash-all.sh file, and follow the instructions.
- Once done restart or reboot the device normally.
After this manual installation you may involve into Android Beta Program after flashing the update manually to receive the further updates OTA.
Now enjoy the latest Android N and check out its all new features and also suggest or comment for any changes in this preview that you can carry out android website.
If any queries or trouble in installing freely comment below.